İntrakaviter tedavide ümit veren yeni ajanlar ve kullanım prensipleri

  • Hakan Gemalmaz

Bull Urooncol 2010;9(1):35-39

Urothelial-cell carcinoma of the bladder (UCCB) is the second common urologic neoplasm after prostate adenocarcinoma with 300.000 new cases per year in the world. Approximately 70% of UCCBs are non muscle-invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC) and the remaining 30% is muscle invasive, with poor clinical outcome. Almost 70% of NMIBCs recur even after optimal therapy (transurethral resection with intravesical chemotherapy or immunotherapy), and 10%-20% will progress to higher stage and/or grade. Current intravesical therapies are associated with significant risks and morbidity. Due to toxicity, up to 20% of the patients discontinue the treatment especially in the arm of immunotherapy with BCG. As the results of intravesical therapies are not satisfying, novel therapeutic agents are needed to enhance the efficacy and to reduce the toxicity of intravesical treatments in NMIBC. In this review, we discussed promising novel agents and modalities in the treatment of NMIBC.